Update of day 5, 6th July 2019 - Shanklin to Reeth Bay


We returned to Shanklin at 1pm and found a brisk breeze from the south, again the direction I was to start, and the sea was also choppy. 
The plan was to row round Dunnose Point at the time the tide would be turning to reduce any rough seas, and then on to Reeth Bay, at Saint Catherine’s Point. I was uneasy about these two headlands and the wind, so decided to delay my start and just go to Ventnor.
The Shanklin Rowing Club is located on the prom nearby so I called in and spoke to the club top man (I think) to ask him about the difficulties in rowing round the the nearby Dunnose Point and he said they never go near it. I pressed him further but got no useful info.  
The sea was looking a bit choppy so around 2 pm I decided to row out, and if it was too rough I would then turn back. The waves were not too large so I carried on but when I got to Dunnose it got really rough, the boat being knocked around. I considered turning back then but thought it would be too risky to turn and then have the waves coming at the back of the boat, so pressed on into the waves.

Ventnor

It didn’t last long before the wind and waves eased, the sun felt warmer and the rowing became more easy and pleasant. Apart from one other rough patch the conditions got much better so I carried on past the small harbour in Ventnor and onwards to Reeth Bay, which gets me to an originally planned stop, but just one day late. 
Rowing for about two hours today.

Coast between Ventnor and Reeth Bay

Reeth Bay is a delightful hidden mini Bay, right on the southerly tip of the Island. Accessed by an unmade single track road from the hills above, there is the very small Castlehaven Caravan Park, parking space for only about 8/9 cars, a slipway and a few small boats there. Several islanders we spoke to had not even heard of it but being a sunny Saturday it was ‘crowded’, see photo. I had to row carefully through the swimmers, then we got the boat out and secured it for the night. 

Reeth Bay, next to St Catherines Point
Only 7 miles today but it gets me to the nearest start point for a 13 mile row to Freshwater Bay, hopefully tomorrow. This is along the exposed southern coast of the Island, with rocky reefs, high cliffs all the way and very few footpath-only access points.
Then I only have another 12 mile crossing past the Needles back to Mudeford, with luck on Monday.
I’m pleased to have got this far and hoping the winds will be light in the next couple of days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have completed the Rowing Challenge!!

Rowing at Sea