Update of day 1 - 2nd July 2019, Mudeford to Yarmouth

  Wind over Tide, best avoided!

I’ve made it to the Isle of Wight, which is a good start. I rowed the boat out to Avon Beach yesterday evening due to tides and left it on the beach overnight. Set off from Avon Beach at 7am this morning, super calm weather but the wind steadily increased and I had choppy seas for most of the row to Yarmouth.
To cut the expected hot sun and also to make me more visible to other boats, we had made a sun cover using a 5ft x 3 ft red ensign. It looks a bit eccentric but kept the sun off me until the wind made me uneasy about leaving it up, so I took it down just off Milford on Sea. Exciting pass through Hurst Narrows entering the Solent, water swirling in all directions. Then in the Solent there were a couple of patches of really choppy seas, sideways on as I was crossing to Yarmouth. The wind was at the high end of the forecast and blowing directly against a strong Spring tide.
Anyway I made it in 4 hours and in one piece, so I’m really chuffed.
Tomorrow I’m heading for Wootton or Fishbourne, about 15 miles and due to tides I needed to leave before 6am. Unfortunately I was asked to berth the boat on a pontoon that is more secure and has no shore access - the harbour master or a water taxi ferries you out. Now realise they start at 7am which is too late for me, so I’m planning on a 7.30 start, going only to Cowes, then I will leave Cowes for Wootton on the next tide at about 4pm.
Video of my row today
Photo of Hurst Castle as I passed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have completed the Rowing Challenge!!

Rowing at Sea