Update of day 3 - 4th July 2019 - Cowes to Bembridge

I left Cowes (photo of me leaving the Cowes marina) with the tide at 4.40 in the afternoon, heading for Fishbourne or further if possible. Slight wind and waves at first which eased off and the water became reasonably calm.  There was a strong sun and the red-ensign sun cover, made in haste just before starting the challenge, was great at keeping the sun off me. 

I passed Fishbourne, waiting as a car ferry departed, then carried on outside Ryde Pier. Hovercraft from Portsmouth came in behind me.  The tide was low springs (very low) and Ryde sands extended in a huge arc about a mile out from the shore. Some people had walked to the edge of the sands and were fishing or swimming at the edge. I rowed right round the sands, getting noticeably closer to Portsmouth, then turned towards the south and continued to Bembridge. 

Since the tide was low (there are 16 ft tides here), I rowed very slowly past scattered rocks, outside the approach channel and up to a beach which had parking places and a beach cafe, at almost 9pm. Pulled the boat up to beach on a 2 wheel trolley I had made and chained the boat to a post at the side of the car park - hoping it would still be there next morning!   

A really enjoyable row but over 4 hours so I was quite tired.

   Click for a video of todays row:








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have completed the Rowing Challenge!!

Rowing at Sea