Safety



Please click "READ MORE" to see the entire post.
I have really enjoyed going out to sea training at least a dozen times recently and, although it slows me down, I can cope with rowing in small waves. However if the waves are a bit higher rowing becomes difficult, especially when they are coming on my side. Bigger waves and the wash from passing power boats (also big ships and high-speed ferries in the Solent) can also be a problem unless I turn to take them head on. 
Several people have asked whether I’m going with a safety boat, but I don’t think this is necessary. It would be stressful for me and I doubt whether I could find a safety boat and skipper prepared to go at short notice.

A phone app ‘RYA SafeTRX’ enables me to report my trip plan to the Coastguard each day before leaving (I’m already doing this on my longer sea training trips). It sends my location to them every 10 minutes and I can also call for help with it. I also have a Personal Locator Beacon attached to my lifejacket, which if I use it to call for help, sends a satellite signal to the Coastguard (who have all my details) with my ID and GPS location. I have two daytime orange smoke distress flares and a local fisherman is lending me a VHF marine handheld radio. 
To enable me to plan each days row, I have various marine charts and tables of daily High Water times, tide heights and tidal flows for all locations round the Island, plus two books – Solent Hazards and Wight Hazards, which detail every part of the Island’s coast and all the hazards for small boats – mainly areas of shallows and rocks.
I am also taking a range of rowing and boat related spares, in case anything breaks. 
I have never previously needed to request help at sea and I don’t expect to do so now!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have completed the Rowing Challenge!!

Rowing at Sea