Why have I decided to (try to) row around the Isle of Wight?

Please click 'READ MORE' to see the full post including Charity details - thank you.
After completing the challenge of cycling solo and unsupported from Lands End to John O'Groats a couple of years ago, I am now proposing to take on another challenge of rowing around the Isle of Wight. I am also raising funds for the charity Children On The Edge:

https://www.childrenontheedge.org

The row is planned to take place some time between the middle of May up early July 2019, starting when a settled spell of fine weather and calm seas appears. 





Starting from and finishing in Mudeford, the total distance is about 75-80 miles.  My plan is to row 12-15 miles each day, so it should take me about six days to complete, although this will be subject to tidal flows each day.


I have chosen the charity 'Children On The Edge' to benefit from sponsorship of my rowing challenge and have set up a charity fundraising page to enable online donations/ sponsorship:





                                  (Video is best viewed with HD 720p setting)

This is my Virus Yole. It is made in France and is a heavy but stable boat and is ideal for coastal rowing.  


Since my oars are each about 9ft long, I need a wide path which can be a problem in a narrow channel or if there are a lot of other boats about. This is not helped by me facing backward, so I have fitted a couple of 'rear' view mirrors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have completed the Rowing Challenge!!

Rowing at Sea